Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Alien da fresno


Finally I have gone through my first week in Fresno. I arrived on the 16th of August 2008. I was exciting, nervous; all the ridiculous thoughts were in my mind until today. Yet, still I could not believe that I AM IN AMERICA right now. Everything was like a dream for me, and now it’s true. When I stepped down my feet in San Francisco, I wanted to shout out to the world and to myself that AMERICA here I AM! I was carrying two big suitcases and 3 hand bags and I got to continue my last flight to Fresno. It was my first experience travelling thousand miles away from home alone. Spending more than 24 hours to reach the destination; sitting on the huge plane, waiting for the boarding time, watching and listening to the air FM, reading the purpose driven life, and talking to the person beside me. After been through all of that, something terrible was happened in San Francisco. We have to pass the strict security check and custom clearance otherwise we will never be allowed to enter United State. I even had to take out my shoes and my scarf to the boxes. Everything was fine, but my stuffs were split and it was heavy! I reminded myself not to forget to check my stuffs completely when I leave to make sure that everything was clear. this photo was taken in Nari ta Japan (the lonely me)

45 Minutes before my boarding time, I realized that I missed a folder of my important documents. OH my goodness, I was shocked and panic, how careless I am! I was telling myself not to forget my stuffs but still I left it out there. Realizing my carelessness, I quickly ran to the place where I left my stuff. There, I talked to the immigration officer and he tried to help me out of my trouble at the end. He called and checked my documents at the security office in the airport and it was there! My documents are safe *_* How lucky am I! I thanked God for letting me out of this trouble. I could board just in time to my last destination. An hour of trip me bring me to Fresno.

Do you know what my first impression to Fresno was? FRESNO is HOT! When I arrived it was about 104F which is almost 40C. It’s considered as one of the hottest city in California because it located in the valley of California! I felt like burning my skin under the sun light even when it was around 4pm. Ms. Linda is the one who picked me up in the airport. She is a volunteer for arrival assistance for new international students. I was so glad that when I walked out from the plane she was there waiting for me with her warmest smile. She hugged me and welcomed me to Fresno. Somehow I felt so bad that time because she helped me to carry my heavy suitcase. She drove me around the campus before she sent me to my new home.

I am home staying with an Indonesian American family in Fresno, my friend, ce inge is the one who found the house for me. The house is lovely, so does my room. I love it very much. I never expect to get that kind of lovely room. Everything is provided, furniture and even the rest room. It’s really good enough for me. My host, they are originally from the capital city of Indonesia, but they have been immigrated to America for more than 50 years. They don’t speak Indonesian with me, they speak English to me. It’s just occasionally I found out them willing to speak Indonesian with me, especially om ad. He never wants to speak Indonesian to me. But he is nice and adorable. That’s all I can say

No comments: